The Racing History of WMBRC
The following article is taken from the Broad Leys website
Windermere has been synonymous with speed on water, since the end of the 19th century, when races were held between high-
Motorboat racing on Windermere had been taking place informally for several years, when in 1923, the Ambleside Water Carnival held the first organised races for Motor Boats and Hydroplanes. With the success of these races the previous year, entries for 1924 were up to 34 craft, which raced for several new trophies, many of which were subsequently presented to the club and are still competed for today.
Increasing interest in motorboat racing, led to even more informal races being held in-
By 1927 the members had financed and built a new clubhouse and pier on land in Parsonage Bay and the club was in business. In 1927, it was also resolved that ladies be admitted to membership of the club and several ladies soon took up the challenge.
In 1951 WMBRC acquired the famous Broad leys house as their headquarters and raced Powerboats from its foreshore from that date until the LDPB imposed a speed limit of 10mph on the Lake in 2005. Since then the Club has continued a full racing programme in Barrow Docks.